Shadow a Member of the PA General Assembly in Harrisburg on March 17, 2020! Apply Today!
The Legislator for a Day Program provides students with the unique opportunity to “shadow” a member of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, gaining insight into the legislative process and experiencing a day in the life of a state representative or state senator while in session at the Capitol. Selected students and the Elsie Forum staff will travel to Harrisburg and on the way, learn about the participating legislators and have a discussion about leadership.
This program is coordinated with "Pitt Day in Harrisburg," which is an event sponsored by the Pitt Alumni Association and Pitt's Office of Community and Governmental Relations where alumni, faculty, staff, students, and friends advocate for Pitt and the importance of public higher education. So, students not only will have the opportunity to connect with legislators, but they will also connect with Pitt leadership and other influential alumni, faculty, staff, and students.
When is the program offered?
This one-day program will take place on March 17, 2020! We will depart for Harrisburg on March 16.
- Connect and network with state legislators
- Experience a day in the life of an elected official
- Possible experiences include constituent meetings, chamber or committee meetings, committee hearings, or meetings with lobbyists or interest groups
- Free trip to Harrisburg and hotel stay!
All University of Pittsburgh students pursuing any major or degree.
Students apply online and participation is awarded on a competitive basis.
- Application Due Date: February 15
- Essay - one-page maximum, single-spaced
- Describe your interest in politics and in this specific program.
- What are your plans post-graduation?
Participation is based on the application and a face-to-face interview. Ideal participants have excellent written and oral communication skills. The program typically has about 9-15 available positions.
Please refer to the 2017 schedule for an example of activities typically engaged in.